Mission Slideshow

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Your weekly news from the Amazon! - Week #12

Boom!
So, this week was pretty much the Bomb, as every week is. Yep. Bomb!

I can't really write a big long letter about the events of the week because I mailed mom my letters already and I dont have those reminders to remember everything but I still remember a little bit.

This past Sunday was fantastic. We started it off with ALL of our investigators cancelling coming to church with us, which was a big bummer. We thought it was going to be another lonely day in church but, in the second hour, 5 investigators showed up!!!!!! It was amazing. João (John) is dating one of the girls in our ward and he has come to church and been at activities for a while, but we never had a chance to speak with him. He came up to us after church and said we need to come over to talk about BAPTISM with him!!!!!! So cool. The boy friend of Claudia, (my haircut lady in the ward) also came and we talked to him about Joseph Smith and he seemed really interested!!! The other 3 investigators are a family of a mom and her 2 adult daughters. Valeria, Adrianna, and Maria. They came and seemed to enjoy classes a lot but we could tell they didn´t like sacrament meeting, because there are kids in the meeting (noisy). But we went to talk with them afterwards and Valeria said she felt something so different at our church and she didn´t want to leave. We explained that that was the spirit telling her that she was doing the right thing. Its amazing, we saw her on the street yesterday and see just seemed so much happier and we have another lesson with her tomorrow. I am excited!

Last P-day we decided to go tanning for a few minutes out on our roof and both of us were burned pretty bad. I recovered pretty fast but Elder Soelberg has been peeling sooooo bad! It is very funny. He was so pink. But I am fine now and I am beautifully, evenly tanned. Oh yea! (I almost look like a native)

We met our new mission President on Monday, the 4th! He is so cool. President Moroni Kline! He is from Porto Alegre, the south of Brazil, and he has a wonderful family. He is just so excited and he has a TON of energy. I instantly liked him from the moment I saw him. He just is gitty! It is refreshing to see a Brazilian like that!. Way cool. He is a history major and he knows a ton. Everything relates back to the gospel. Someone asked him if we can drink Coke in our mission now, because it was rule before we couldn't, and he related it back to how everything in the church works in a order, and how God is a God of Order, so he would council with the Zone leaders and decide about about drinking Coke! After, he let us sing the Star Spangled Banner as the Closing hymn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got to conduct and Elder Tenney held up his gaint American Flag. It was AMAZING!!!!!!! I LOVED IT! Everyone here knows I was in the ROTC and they all know I am really patriotic.


Speaking of Tenney, he said he is going to give me the flag when he leaves to pass it on to another loyal american. We talk alot on p-day and meetings. He is a way cool guy. Today he said "dang, why does this have to be my last transfer! We would have been great companions!" He is cool guy and he is good example of a hard working missionary.

P-day today we went and played more soccer as a Zone. I always get crap from some of the Americans who are MLS fans because I am a Timbers fan, and most of them are for Real Salt Lake. YUCK! But I played pretty good today and scored a goal for my team!!!!!! We won once and lost twice though. Lame. But I am getting better. Sorry Dad, but I am really loving soccer. Plus, I hear through the vine that basketball and football are both in lockout. More time for soccer games! Also, we just got word that the Prophet has decided that ALL missionaries around the world are switching their P-Days to Monday.

Also, for everyone reading this, I need you to know WHY I am here. WHY I am having these wonderful adventures. It is because I believe that this church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, is Christs church on the earth today. I know that we have, through Joseph Smith, the restored authority and power of God, the Holy Priesthood, on this earth to guide and direct this church. I know we have a living Prophet, Thomas S. Monson, and 12 Apostles, to help our families follow the example of Christ so that we can return to the presence of our Heavenly Father. And I know that The Book of Mormon is a true text, an ancient record of Prophets of old, here in the Americas, that is another testament of Christ. I know that if you read that book and pray, with the intent to do what the Lord directs you, you will know that all of what I know is true. It is undeniable in my heart. I love this work. I love my family. I love my country. I love my God.


Also, I love you all.
Elder Asa Laws

No comments:

Post a Comment