Mission Slideshow

Monday, March 26, 2012

Week #50 - "Radar, what am I signing?"

Boom!

Now, I know that many films, songs, and stories have been told about the most beautiful women, cars, and countries. I know that many believe that true beauty is within and that things superficial don't really matter in this world. I just have a few words and one letter to discuss the MOST BEAUTIFUL THING EVER. What is it?

PANCAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. Thank you. I know I just made the worlds greatest argument. It's true! After nearly a year without fluffy, syrup soaked, drenched in love pancakes, I literally was on the edge of crying after the first bite. I invite all men around the world who have the opportunity to enjoy a pancake at will, to do so. GO EAT PANCAKES. They are the best!

NO seriously, I do not think you get it. Those fantastic fried friends of mine are probably the best thing that I have ever received in a package ( that is edible at least. We will address the true best thing ever from a box in a minute.) If you have ever considered sending Elder Asa Spades (Richard actually) Laws a package, know this: Walmart sells just-add-water packets of buttermilk pancake batter.

Now, to address the rest of the amazing goodness that arrived in my package. THANK YOU FOR THE BASEBALL GLOVES AND BALL!!!!! They are truly the best present that I have ever received in my life for my birthday. Never has a 20 year old dude fell in love so fast for 2 pieces of cow-hide and a ball made of string. I have already taught my companion how to play catch, though he is left handed, and my gloves are for us normal right-handed people. Hehe! So that has been tough for him. BUT, nonetheless, we play. Today specifically, I was able to go to the church and play with Elder Earl. Man, my throw is weak as heck, but it felt so good to stretch out the arm and really play the greatest sport that ever existed! Don't get me wrong, I love soccer. I actually scored a goal today against all the Brazilians. But baseball is just.... yeah. I love it.

All the goodies you sent, Mom, were fantastic. As a side note: Dad, I know that you always told me how bad my typing technique is and that I only used a few fingers. Well, I want you to know that for a few weeks now, I have been practicing here every P-Day and I am really trying to learn to become a better typer. I do not even have to look at the keyboard any more. que bom! Man, it's hard to type on this keyboard without looking. So you know, keyboards in Portuguese are slightly different because of the accents in the language. thus, some of the letters and symbols are in weird places for me. PRACTICE.

There is an investigator here we have been working with for a while now. So has been going to church for 3 years but has yet to get married, so she cannot be baptised. Anyways, her name is Cleia. She loves me and my companion to death. She basically considers us her children and always wants to feed us ( yes, mother, I am still holding weight and she feeds us really really well.) Anyways, she has decided that my accent is no longer an American accent, and has decided that I am no longer American. Rather, she says I have a PORTUGUESE (from Portugal) accent and she calls me Elder Portuga. Feel proud Dad, though no one really agrees with her and I still have a lot to learn in the language.

As for an update on the language learning, I am getting really good at understanding subjunctives. For those of you who has no idea what this is, like me, its conjugations of the verbs in certain forms that actually do not exist in English, so its really hard. There is no real way to translate them. Basically, they are hypothetical forms, or rather, forms of verbs for when the situation or action is not actually real, but a thought, a maybe, or a wish. It is freaking difficult for me but I have gotten the hang of it.

So this is the beginning of the last week of this transfer. I am really excited to see what happens; whether I stay or go, or maybe even my companion might leave. We will see on Sunday!

We are working really hard and trying are best to give it all. Truly, this mission is THE BEST experience of my life to date (but yes, I plan for a marriage of awesomeness that will beat out my mission for the best experience spot in my life.) Eu amo este povo aqui, e todos os dias eu realizo mais e mais que este Evangelho é a verdade.

Eu vos amo.
Elder Asa Laws

No comments:

Post a Comment